Saturday, June 14, 2008

David Griggs-Janower of Albany Pro Musica - BLOGS

Somehow, my bloglines doesn't pick up every post DGJ makes, and he's been blogging quite a bit lately.

Don't miss these posts:

December in June: picking Christmas music when it is 90 degrees.
Today I was reading poems and looking at pieces about snow. Was this to keep cool? I wish! We have two concerts in the fall, which means I have to have music ready in mid-August, which means I have to order it in July, which means I have to decide what we are singing this month! So every summer I listen to Christmas music so I can make decisions about our December repertory. It's a little weird, but I've been doing this for so long that it seems normal.
About Singing Well: the difficulties of singing and how it's different from instrumentalists
Not so with a singer. The "instrument" is too flexible. It has thousands of moving parts (such as muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc.) that can be easily shifted on every note if the singer isn't careful. The body has to support well the voice, which means we must deal with posture all the time. And breathing properly, freeing the diaphragm, expanding the intercostal muscles (huh?). And the tongue. And the soft palate. And the shape of the mouth. And the placement of the sound. And this has to be kept correct for every note to make the best sound possible. It's as if you had to mold the shape of your trumpet on every note. But your trumpet comes all ready.

No comments: